Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Big Names For Small Horses

Soon after making the official phone call to the farm owner that we would not be taking one of her minis home with us but two we found a great boarding stable for our petite little guys where they would hopefully befriend some of their larger roommates and neighbors. The stables that we decided on was not as large as some of the others or should I say not as populated but still had all the amenities that we wanted. Tack room with storage lockers, indoor plumming, indoor wash rack, round pens, jumps, indoor arena and a nice sized pasture for the two of them. It is located just minutes from Michigan State University and homes alot of the MSU polo team horses along with other show and competing horses.

Now that we had found our horses and found them their new stable home the next step was to come up with names.  I wanted my 3 year old to feel as included in the entire experience as possible and since we wouldn't have the horses come until after we got back from our Disney trip about 2 weeks after, I wanted it give her something to be excited about. Although my daughter is a true girly girl and believes that pink is not just a color it is a life style she surprised me at how enthused she was about having two BOY horses come into our lives. Of course she still tried to convince me that a good "princess name" would work for them. 
Like most little girls she is VERY into the new Disney "Tangled" movie, so naturally she wanted her horse to have the name of Rapunzel. I tried not to discourage her from the choice but explained that if she called her horse Rapunzel people would assume he was a girl.  She thought about this for a moment and responded with "Ok.. His name will be Flynn Rider then".  Which for anyone who doesn't know who Flynn is, he is the leading male charactor in the "Tangled" movie Rapunzel's love. She picked the sorrel chestnut pinto to have the name Flynn Rider and that made it official..  FLYNN RIDER!! 

My daughter was completely satified with her choice of name and lost all interest in naming the other mini which  left it up to my mom and I since he needing a stronger name than just "Buck" to stand up to Flynn Rider.  I decided one afternoon out of the blue that the name Urban Cowboy seemed to be very fitting name for the tri colored bay pinto since here we were city people trying to become horse people!  I found out later after deciding with  the name that it was the title for an old John Travolta movie that was well before my time. 

Unintentionally, we have named these two horses after some very handsome and very bold characters!
So now we had a Flynn Rider... Flynn for short and an Urban Cowboy... Cowboy for short. 

Two big names for two small horses!

1 comment:

  1. I like it! The two little guys have some big names to live up to now.

    ReplyDelete