Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Love at first site!






Picking our minis was a very tiring and long guilt ridden process of elimination.
So many minis but we could ONLY choose two to take home.
Took a two hour drive on a VERY cold and snowy Saturday morning to check out some geldings at an arabian miniature horse farm.
I took my 3 year old with me, my toes were already frozen before we reached the stables so I knew my daughter (who was dressed warmer than I) wouldn't last very long outdoors.
We walked through the stables a small paddock area.  Turned the corner to see a swarm or very lively, nervous, biting, and kicking minis crowded around the gate area. The horses at this particular farm were never blanketed in the winter and rarely spent the night in the barn and resembled unkept shaggy dogs more than horses. The farm owner informed us that her farm hands had brought up all the wrong horses from the pasture for us to look at. But one still caught my eye.  He was a breath takingly beautiful tri colored bay pinto even under all that shaggy hair with one light blue eye. I asked about him. She responded with " "Buck" was a national champ and was not for sale". Still my mom and I persisted and she finally gave in and said that she could consider him as long as he went to a show home. Soon after meeting him up close we also got to meet a very scruffy looking sorrel stallion who she called "Yes". He was a little smaller than most of the others that were out in the paddock, standing at only 27 inches tall. "Yes" had never been broke or ever worked with in anyway but seemed to be very excepting of us leading him in his halter around the paddock.  His disposition reminding me of a golden retriever more than a horse, just very calm, gentle, and pleasing little guy. We left feeling good about the visit to the farm, although "Buck" and "Yes" carried a heavy price tag and MUCH more than we wanted to spend it didn't take more than 15 minutes after departing to come to the decision that they were the ones for us!





2 comments:

  1. Well they're both just too adorable. I want one now. Wish we had room for another horse but we don't and our herd would probably trample them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about having to worry about them being trampled, I had alot of worries too. My two boys live with some pretty large roommates, MSU polo horses and a Rocky Mountain! But they all seem to get along pretty well. Mine do get pushed around some for dinner time but they don't give up! One of the older polo mares has kinda adopted them and is very "mommyish". My only suggestion is that if you ever do decide to own a mini, get two! That way they have a little buddy and someone to scratch their back :)
    Getting two was probably the best decision we made!

    ReplyDelete